ABOUT OUR CLUB
BLYC is a member run club. Members volunteer to participate in various social and sailing committees throughout the summer.
Prospective members are expected to take part in our Summer Members' Program. The goal of this program is to provide Summer Members with the opportunity to meet BLYC's members and to participate in the various activities which the club has to offer. Once successfully completed, Summer Members are invited to join BLYC's membership the following summer. For more information, Contact BLYC membership.
LOCATION AND CONTACT INFORMATION
P.O. Box 3082
Harvey Cedars, NJ 08008
OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
Bryan Lewis, Commodore
Dory Gasorek, Vice Commodore
Mike Sadowski, Rear Commodore
Michael Songer, Secretary
Holly Faus, Treasurer
Joe McGinnis, Youth Program Director
Susan Lewis, Membership Director
Founded in 1928 as the High Point Yacht Club, the Barnegat Light Yacht Club is the oldest sailing club on Long Beach Island. Its clubhouse, which still stands today, was built in 1930. After construction of the clubhouse, the club petitioned the North American Racing Association for membership; however, the High Point name was already in use by a club in North Carolina, so the name was changed to represent the area’s most prominent landmark, the Barnegat Lighthouse.
While some may confuse the name of the club to represent the township of Barnegat Light, which is approximately two miles north of Harvey Cedars, history provides a clearer picture. As it turns out, the Township of Barnegat Light was once known as Barnegat City and the community did not change its name to Barngat Light until 1948.
Today, the Barnegat Light Yacht Club continues a long history of sailing, youth programs and almost 100 years of Saturday socials.